The Portugal neighborhood known as “Mazagan” preserves the memory of Al-Jadida city and considered one of the most important archaeological places; it is a witness to the most important stages of its history. The castle named as «Mazgan Portuguese», which derived its name from «Mazighan» a word of Amazighs.
Mazgan was initially built between 1514 and 1517 over an ancient place called "Albrijat". Between 1541 and 1548, the Italian architect Benedetto di Ravenna completed a new design of expansion.
The Portuguese occupied the region due to the importance of its strategic location on the west coast since 1514; the Sultan Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah was able to take it back in 1769 after a long siege.
Today the city called Al-Jadida and registered in the World Heritage by the Organization "UNESCO since 2004.